Certainly the most intriguing article in the May Maine Antique Digest is “Why Collect?” written by a clinical psychologist who is, not surprisingly, also a collector. What did take me by surprise is a statistic he reported in his coverage of transitional objects: “About 35% of adults in our society still sleep with a stuffed animal.”
I do not question the veracity of the author for he would most certainly not risk his professional reputation by citing a bogus figure in a respected periodical. My astonishment is twofold: What kind of questionnaire was used to determine that fact? What adults would admit they engage in such a childish habit?
I can only surmise the survey took the form of a preferential format like the choices listed below:
- In times of crisis, I sometimes a) bite my lip; b) suck my thumb.
- For artistic expression I would prefer to a) paint a portrait on a canvas; b) draw a stick figure in chalk on the sidewalk.
- The best way to settle a difference of opinion with colleagues is to a) agree to a compromise b) hold my breath until they give in to what I want.
- I prefer to get exercise by a) taking a brisk walk in the park b) jumping hopscotch at the playground.
- The best use of my time on a rainy day is to a) organize my financial and medical records b) drag my blankie around the house.
- I can learn more from a) reading a biography about Abraham Lincoln; b) building a crib for my dolly out of Lincoln Logs.
- I am at my most creative when a) thinking outside the box; b) playing in a sandbox.
- The best way to deal with the ups and downs of life is a) keep an even disposition; b) get on a pogo stick.
- My favorite mixed drink is a) a cocktail with a cherry in it; b) a glass of strawberry milk with two candy canes in it.
- I am apt to lose my temper when a) standing in line for a long time; b) standing in the corner during time out.
- I frequently need help a) getting out of jams; b) getting out of my jammies.
I contend that adults who sleep with stuffed animals certainly need help, the kind a clinical psychologist can provide.